Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Weekend wrapup plus a slump

Happy post Labor Day! Had a busy weekend. It was the usual kids, family, running errands type of stuff.

Saturday we spent some time at my mom's house. We all got together to watch the UFC fight and to bbq. Sunday I took my oldest and 3 of his friends to a skate park so they could get some bmx riding in before school started.

The park was about an hour away. Normally when I take them to skate parks I drop them off and come back to get them but since it was kind of far I just stayed there. I kept myself occupied reading for the most part. I did watch them ride a bit here and there when I got out to stretch. It's interested watching them. They could be simply sitting on their bikes and really enjoying it. Just being at the skate park is joy enough for them. I like that. All told, we spent 5 hours there. After they got done I took them out to pizza.

Monday my youngest got invited to another bjj school to prepare for this weekend's tournament. I thought that was cool. My son does not train at this school at all. It's one of the better schools around here. This is his second time getting invited to train there. We met their coaches at a tournament and they were really nice guys. They said they would invite my youngest up to train sometime. Sure enough one day they did. My youngest must have done well enough to warrant a second invite. He did okay. I think the drive may have affected him and the fact that we ate just before he started sparring. He finally picked it up towards the end after a sluggish start. This school has some really high level kids there so the training was great. 

The kids started school this week. It's a mixed blessing. Now they have something to keep them busy but it means less time with them. Most days I work from home and I get to spend time with them. With them gone it's just an empty house.

With Monday being a holiday it's a short work week for me. I'm taking Friday off. No real reason except that I wanted a day off. Actually we were planning on heading to Oregon for a bjj tournament that's supposed to be 2 days long on Friday. That got changed to a 1 day tournament but I kept the day off.

I'm pretty much in a slump. It's all my fault ultimately. I make plans with the wife to exercise and we never get to it. I wait and wait for her to be ready and it never happens. Then I let her laziness drive my own and suddenly it's bed time. I just need to go back to doing my own thing. When I exercise on my own I'm at my best. I'm the only motivation I need.

The other thing that I think is affecting me is working from home. I get less and less motivated. It might be due to me being sick of being at home all the time for work. I know it sounds crazy but I think there's some merit to it. My wife went through it. She was a stay at home mom for about 3 years and finally got tired of it and got a job again. It wasn't as if she wasn't capable of finding a job at the time, she just wanted to try staying at home. Luckily she found one quickly. Having a master's degree kind of helps.

Bitching without any intent on fixing what you're bitching about is...well...bitching. Plain and simple. So here's my plan. I'm going into the office tomorrow. I'm going to vacuum my car tonight. I'm going to go running. We'll see how I feel after I make some changes.

I'll leave you with a video for inspiration.



No comments:

Post a Comment